Assignment 2- Creative Acts of Survivance

 

My work is inspired by and dedicated to the missing and murdered indigenous women. For this project I used many different materials such as yarns, threads, and paper with factual information on it to create this weaved sun piece. I wanted to use the sun because oftentimes it can represent life, health, and healing and I felt that it greatly related to the issue. This was my first time doing weaving and it was a little difficult at certain points but it was quite fun and the actual process of making the piece was actually quite relaxing.


Missing and murdered indigenous women has been an ongoing silent genocide that has been occurring throughout North America for the past several years that the government has turned a blind eye to. Upon doing research one of the most frustrating things I’ve come to discover is that there isn’t an accurate account of how many women are actually missing because the government hasn’t been keeping records. The closest year I could find information for was in 2014 when the Royal Mounted Canadian Police acknowledged that there have been more than 1200 missing and murdered indigenous women between 1980 and 2012, and that indigenous women's groups have documented the number to be over 4000. I can’t even begin to understand the experience these women and their families are going through personally speaking but I was hoping with this piece that at least I would be able to help spread a little awareness in some way.  








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 3- Mootookakio'ssin Project

Assignment 1- Origin Stories